Home

Upcoming Events

There are no Upcoming Events

Condividi contenuti

In Cavern Event Coordinators

26 risposte [Ultimo contenuto]
Irissa
Ritratto di Irissa
Offline
Messenger
Iscritto: 18 Mar 2010

Greetings and Salutations,

I have offered to post on your turf, on behalf of a group of Explorers who have been speaking to me about events.  What about events, you ask? Well, game events being one type, but really, all events happening in the Cavern.

URU has only been live again for a month or so.  Explorers who were in the Cavern before haven't all returned. A lot of groups are trying to get settled in and set up.  And it's fair to say that the Explorers in the Cavern know that there isn't a lot of news to report, right now. Wouldn't GoMe like to have more news to report?

In the process of building up a new Public Bevin, I have been in the Cavern, chatting, for some 75 hours in the last 1.5 weeks. Because of this, a certain discontent has been aired my direction many times.  Once an Explorer completes the ages, there are few challenges left.

A new Bevin has sprung up that deals specifically with Marker games. A ton of other game ideas are being discussed all the time. This is all well and good, but also in these discussions are these topics: How do you get the word out to explorers in the Cavern? Where in the Cavern can we post about events? And how do you coordinate a group larger then 5 explorers, who hang in different parts of the Cavern?

Some players don't visit the web for URU news. Some players don't know WHERE to go on the web. Some people want all news to come from inside the Cavern. GoMe does great things on the web, and the Cavern Criers do a great job in Cavern. But GoMe can't possibly have enough Criers to hit every Bevin, the City, GoG Bevin.

Now, some players I've been speaking to think that events should be planned & announced, in Cavern, by the Guild of Messengers. Somehow, I don’t really think this is within your mandate.  Other players, along with myself, want to avoid stepping on the toes of existing groups.

So, here is what I have been asked to present:

Would GoMe be interested in forming a new 24/7 presence in the cavern, by forming a new Bevin and using in-cavern tools to help ORGANIZE and REPORT event times and dates by category? If not, would GoMe be interested in interacting with a group of players who wish to form this presence?

Either way, news will come your way, and Explorers will find more things to do in the Cavern.

Sincerely,

Irrisa

-Irissa

GoMe_Irissa KI# 04058618

Irissa KI# 03367521

Andros
Ritratto di Andros
Offline
Messenger
Iscritto: 29 Ott 2007

Irissa escribió:

Would GoMe be interested in forming a new 24/7 presence in the cavern, by forming a new Bevin and using in-cavern tools to help ORGANIZE and REPORT event times and dates by category? If not, would GoMe be interested in interacting with a group of players who wish to form this presence?

 

Hello Irissa. Thank you for having at heart the needs of the explorers regarding events. Regarding your proposal...

#1 Considering that you mentioned that the Criers can't be 24/7 in the cavern, how do you expect the GoMe to be 24/7 in the cavern? I am confused.

#2 I believe that it would be the GoMe's pleasure to be interacting with a group of players who wish to form this presence.

Kalypso: #85553

Irissa
Ritratto di Irissa
Offline
Messenger
Iscritto: 18 Mar 2010

Andros,

 

I can understand why your confused about the 24/7 in-cavern comment.  I should have worded that a bit more specifically.  I don't expect staff of GoMe, GoG, or anyone, for that matter, to be in the cavern 24/7. We belive that it's possible to set up a system whereby a player can visit a specific location, any time of day or night, and get updated info on any topic.   Partially this involves a non DRC Bevin, a very firm understanding of the KI system...and a couple of things that I hope will soon be possible. 

In regards to my question about interaction, it's great to hear that GoMe is open to this kind of operation. I think that in the long run, getting any news to GoMe is crucial for the community.  I anticipate that any group created to work on the events that occure in the cavern will be prepared to uplink news to GoMe, so to speak. 


I will pass this on, and myself or someone else will certainly be contacting GoMe with further information.

 

- Irissa

 

 

 

-Irissa

GoMe_Irissa KI# 04058618

Irissa KI# 03367521

Lunanne
Ritratto di Lunanne
Offline
Rel.to MaintainerMagazine moderatorMagazine teamTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 17 Gen 2010

My own opinion on this :

Irissa escribió:

A new Bevin has sprung up that deals specifically with Marker games. A ton of other game ideas are being discussed all the time. This is all well and good, but also in these discussions are these topics: How do you get the word out to explorers in the Cavern? Where in the Cavern can we post about events? And how do you coordinate a group larger then 5 explorers, who hang in different parts of the Cavern?

or maybe even a better question ; How does the GoMe hear of these events so we can post them? I understand that not everyone watches the website but if events don't make it to the website at all it will be even harder for people to hear of it. And hard for us to spread the word. 

Cita:

Some players don't visit the web for URU news. Some players don't know WHERE to go on the web. Some people want all news to come from inside the Cavern. GoMe does great things on the web, and the Cavern Criers do a great job in Cavern. But GoMe can't possibly have enough Criers to hit every Bevin, the City, GoG Bevin.

and everyone knows it is really hard to find Google and search on "guild of messengers". One of the hardest puzzles in MOUL [/sarcasticmode] Sorry. it just irks me that we seem to need to take people by the hand to show everything in the Cavern. 

But you have a point there. News should be more available in the cavern. 

Cita:

Would GoMe be interested in forming a new 24/7 presence in the cavern, by forming a new Bevin and using in-cavern tools to help ORGANIZE and REPORT event times and dates by category? If not, would GoMe be interested in interacting with a group of players who wish to form this presence?

Organize? I don't think that is what the GoMe does. Report ? yeah, alright. I don't think we need a presence as such, there is Kirel., accessible for all who have a KI. What about a large calender there?  maybe even KI accessible? .About posting events. I think we should keep up the current policy. Everyone can post news but a guildmember needs to approve. It has given no problems so far. 

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo
Offline
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 19 Giu 2008

Irissa escribió:

Would GoMe be interested in forming a new 24/7 presence in the cavern, by forming a new Bevin and using in-cavern tools to help ORGANIZE and REPORT event times and dates by category? If not, would GoMe be interested in interacting with a group of players who wish to form this presence?

As Andros already said, we're open to any collaboration. :D

I don't think that organizing events is something that falls under GoMe's job in the Cavern. We can organize events just like any other group can (see how recently the GoMa sponsored a 2 days long party in various Ages, althought GoMa exists mainly for bug testing Ages), but seeing the GoMe as the main source of events organization is the wrong point of view.

We are surely interested in Reporting them and if you have in mind a good way to do so in the Cavern we'd really be happy to follow your suggestions. Unfortunately the KI system, the Hoods and the Guild Pub don't seem to be well designed for News Communication since the imagers only store a little amount of KImails and they're not downloadable to a KI. But, again, if you have some ideas for make this work I'd really be interested in hearing it and changing how we work in the Cavern.

If you have people interested in helping spreading the news in the Cavern you can direct them here, or send PMs to me or Andros (Contact Kalypso in the Cavern), you can also find our KI numbers in our Profiles Page; so that we can get them in the loop as Cavern Criers and maybe apply your suggestions for operating in the Cavern.

Once/when/if we get a good amount of Criers we could also think of having some people hanging  in Kirel, in the Guild Pub, at GoG Bevin and in the City.

Andros
Ritratto di Andros
Offline
Messenger
Iscritto: 29 Ott 2007

Thank you for the reply Irissa.I fully understand the need to have a place where news is available 24/7. Although the work of the Cavern Criers are much needed, there has to be a In-Cavern place to have updated news whether there is a Cavern Crier or not.

We do have a Guild of Messengers Bevinset up that we hope would be the news version of the Guild of Greeters Bevin. The problem is that the hood cannot stay in the Nexus for long so it becomes quickly inaccessible. Do you know a way to solve this problem?

Kalypso: #85553

Irissa
Ritratto di Irissa
Offline
Messenger
Iscritto: 18 Mar 2010

First off, I’d like to say how nice it is to have you folks at GoMe be willing to listen to someone new to URU. Second, whatever happened to my request via the URU forums about schedule information pertaining to Cavern Criers? Heh.

Moving on to the main topic at hand…

I’d like to repeat that while some people do not see it this way, myself and others do NOT believe that GoMe should be the group to organize events. Neither should any of the existing groups, as I believe they exist today. I’ve been the leader of several successful guilds in games like Everquest, WoW, Matrix Online, Guild Wars, etc. During the early Everquest days, there were a lot of user needs not met by the current system. My guild there served the populous in ways that were eventually copycatted by other guilds. More power to them :) 

The main issue here that I want to address is that we have a large percentage of URU players who have completed all the ages, or will do so within a month or two of joining. After that, URU becomes, among other things, the best chat service I’ve ever experienced.  Please don’t take me wrong. The existing groups and Guilds do things in the Cavern and for the player base that I think are fabulous.  I approached GoMe because, from a community standpoint, events are more related to the services GoMe provide then any other guild. At least from my viewpoint.

Other players and myself however, feel that a certain need exist in ways that likely didn’t exist before. I think it’s safe to say that we all want Cyan to continue their goal to make URU open source, and the URU game online as is it is today. Keeping people in URU will affect that outcome.  And for this reason, I now believe that helping URU players get involved in in a larger number events will bring the player base together, and give players a reason to stick around.

I represent a growing group of players who would like to see many more events happen in the Cavern. Events for new players. Events for experienced players. Small and large events, and anything in between.  I’ve been giving a lot of thought to what this group has been saying to me. If we were to form an event development type group, we would have two primary missions. To develop a system that would give this group and other event creators the necessary tools. And to make sure that the player base was informed about upcoming events.

And yes, we have a bunch of ideas on how to make that happen.

So, let me ask this final question. Would such a group impinge on the efforts of you folks in the GoMe?

From a personal standpoint, I’d love to hand you folks of the GoMe all the news you could want. If I am involved with a group like the one I outlined above, we would want to develop a way to get updates to GoMe on a regular basis. In whatever way you feel best serves the community at large.

 

-Irissa

-Irissa

GoMe_Irissa KI# 04058618

Irissa KI# 03367521

Irissa
Ritratto di Irissa
Offline
Messenger
Iscritto: 18 Mar 2010

Lunanne escribió:

My own opinion on this :

or maybe even a better question ; How does the GoMe hear of these events so we can post them? I understand that not everyone watches the website but if events don't make it to the website at all it will be even harder for people to hear of it. And hard for us to spread the word.

and everyone knows it is really hard to find Google and search on "guild of messengers". One of the hardest puzzles in MOUL [/sarcasticmode] Sorry. it just irks me that we seem to need to take people by the hand to show everything in the Cavern.

But you have a point there. News should be more available in the cavern. 

Organize? I don't think that is what the GoMe does. Report ? yeah, alright. I don't think we need a presence as such, there is Kirel., accessible for all who have a KI. What about a large calender there?  maybe even KI accessible? .About posting events. I think we should keep up the current policy. Everyone can post news but a guildmember needs to approve. It has given no problems so far. 


Luanne,

My response to your first question is that  player(s) should use whatever current tools the staff of GoMe provide to report news. The problem is that newer players may not know WHO to report news to, and second, would they prefer to have a way to report  news while they are logged in and in the Cavern.

I really understand your frustration in regards to players being spoon fed, and generally, not RTFM'ing. Aka Read the Fewkin Manual. From someone who does RTFM, I find it very sad that so many people are unwilling to take a little time to read before diving into something.

As for news being more available in the caverrn, I've already stated my views. Should I be involved with group who is dealing with events specifically, I'd personally wish to work  with you folks of the GoMe. And provide event news in a standardized way that is best suited to the way you wish to receive news. Especially as a new breed of events are going to start popping up in the near future.

I do think that event news, at the very least, should be available in Cavern. Not to mention having some in-cavern redundancy. I'm still working on just how that can be accomplished with the tools we have in URU.  I certainly don't think the current reporting policy should be changed in any way, and certainly, thats none of my business anyways, hehe.
Speaking of news, I've looked about, and don't have an answer to this. Does GoMe want to report about new Bevins that have been created to serve the URU community at large?  Perhaps you could interview the owners?  I'm always on the lookout for new, stable Bevins that are doing cool things, and others about them.

 

-Irissa

-Irissa

GoMe_Irissa KI# 04058618

Irissa KI# 03367521

Irissa
Ritratto di Irissa
Offline
Messenger
Iscritto: 18 Mar 2010

Andros escribió:

Thank you for the reply Irissa.I fully understand the need to have a place where news is available 24/7. Although the work of the Cavern Criers are much needed, there has to be a In-Cavern place to have updated news whether there is a Cavern Crier or not.

We do have a Guild of Messengers Bevinset up that we hope would be the news version of the Guild of Greeters Bevin. The problem is that the hood cannot stay in the Nexus for long so it becomes quickly inaccessible. Do you know a way to solve this problem?

 

Yes I do, as I have had to deal with that exact issue during this last week. However, it requires particpation from members of said Bevin.

As follows, this is what I have been doing:

I am the admin of the Over 40 Explorer's Bevin. We allow players over 40 years of age to "join" the Bevin. IE switch their Neighboord Book in their Relto to link to Over 40 instead of the Bevin they currently link to. I have 3 people who I trust, who handle invites etc. Myself and these 3 people "refresh the Bevin" throught the day / evening. This isn't that big of a deal because one of us is usually in URU during the day or evening.

"Refreshing" the Bevin puts the Bevin at the top of the Public list, even if it is empty.  To "refresh" a Bevin, have a member go to the Nexus, and look at the top right of the screen. Member's will see the name of the Bevin on a link button, and to the right of the link button, a button that switches the Bevin from Public to Private, and vice versa. If the Bevin is currently Public, the button will say "private". If the Bevin is currently Private, the button will say "public. To "refresh" a Bevin that is currently Public, simply click the button that says "public" and it will say "private". Click the button again, and make sure it says "public".

If any of the information I just typed above was already available to you, sorry! I have found this to work for us, but I'm not emplyed at present, and one of the members of my Bevin is retired, so between the 4 of us, refreshing the Bevin isn't a big deal.


PS. I have looked 3 times to see if GoMe has a Bevin, and I have NEVER been able to find it. What is the name of the Bevin?

 

-Irissa

-Irissa

GoMe_Irissa KI# 04058618

Irissa KI# 03367521

Andros
Ritratto di Andros
Offline
Messenger
Iscritto: 29 Ott 2007

There is a lot to cover. Here I go.

I want to apologize for not realizing that the MOUL thread had 3 new posts. I check every single day the Moul forum and I did not know about your posts.

I must say that I love your energy. It's people like you who keep the Cavern alive. I believe that what you put into Uru is equal to the joy that Uru gives you back.

I approached GoMe because, from a community standpoint, events are more related to the services GoMe provide then any other guild. At least from my viewpoint.

I also agree. 

If we were to form an event development type group, we would have two primary missions. To develop a system that would give this group and other event creators the necessary tools. And to make sure that the player base was informed about upcoming events.

The second point, the GoMe can sure help. :) We are not perfect but we do our best. We still want to be better and people like you with new ideas can do A LOT to improve the way the GoMe works.

And yes, we have a bunch of ideas on how to make that happen.

I'd love to hear about them.

Would such a group impinge on the efforts of you folks in the GoMe?

Not at all. We have a common goal. Let's work together.

From a personal standpoint, I’d love to hand you folks of the GoMe all the news you could want. If I am involved with a group like the one I outlined above, we would want to develop a way to get updates to GoMe on a regular basis. In whatever way you feel best serves the community at large.

We would love to have updates of course.

I do think that event news, at the very least, should be available in Cavern. Not to mention having some in-cavern redundancy. I'm still working on just how that can be accomplished with the tools we have in URU.  I certainly don't think the current reporting policy should be changed in any way, and certainly, thats none of my business anyways, hehe.

Yeah, we really wish we had more volunteers to really expand our services in the cavern. :(  With the appropriate ressources, I know we could do so much more.
 But as I said, we are willing to improve ourselves reagarding the reporting of news so fresh ideas are welcomed. ;)

Speaking of news, I've looked about, and don't have an answer to this. Does GoMe want to report about new Bevins that have been created to serve the URU community at large?  Perhaps you could interview the owners?

Sure, why not. Regarding the interviews, also a good idea but right now we don't have people in the GoMe with an interest doing that. We could open a position in the guild for someone to do that though. Again, if we have someone to write about these Bevins, we are 100% willing to report  about them in and out of the cavern.

PS. I have looked 3 times to see if GoMe has a Bevin, and I have NEVER been able to find it. What is the name of the Bevin?

THANK YOU for your help. I'll try it the next time I log in.

The name of the Bevin is Guild of Messengers Bevin but like I said, it rarely shows. With your suggestion it should not be a problem anymore to find it.

Kalypso: #85553

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo
Offline
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 19 Giu 2008

I think Andros explained pretty much everything I wanted to say.

So, yes Irissa, we'd really be interested to have your group with us. I'm already envioning a Guild of Messengers Activities Team forming out of this, or maybe not a direct branch of the GoMe but an Affiliate, like CCN, TCT etc

I could organize a meeting (on out chat channel, or in the Cavern, or wherever you want) where we can discuss about this

Andros
Ritratto di Andros
Offline
Messenger
Iscritto: 29 Ott 2007

I had a brief chat with Irissa in the cavern. The quick summary is that I she realised that it is a big project and I proposed to her what you said Leo. She was interested in both options and she'll come back to us on the forum to discuss some more.

Kalypso: #85553

Irissa
Ritratto di Irissa
Offline
Messenger
Iscritto: 18 Mar 2010

Andros escribió:

I had a brief chat with Irissa in the cavern. The quick summary is that I she realised that it is a big project and I proposed to her what you said Leo. She was interested in both options and she'll come back to us on the forum to discuss some more.

 

It was indeed a pleasure to meet you again in the Cavern, Andros. As dead tired as I was, this project is pretty exciting, and it was nice to be able to show my enthusiasm directly.

I've just finished writing a fake FAQ, which I am going to post here in a few minutes.  In addition, I'd like to use this post to respond to an offer that you made while we talked in the Cavern, and the Cavern Crier offer you responded about in the official URU forums.

It's been a bit scary being integrated so quickly into the player base of URU. I'm sure I haven't met more then a third of the main regular player base, and as of yet, have not been in much contact with the other guilds. Building the Over 40 Bevin has allowed me to meet a lot of people sure, but for the most part, players don't know who I am. I use my primary avatar for all communication within the Cavern, and act like I would in RL. I think that running events for a group of 300 adults in RL back in the early 90's has helped me overcome some of my natural shyness.

Anyways. Building up a proper group to handle the needs that I will outline in my next post will take time. And, seeing as how there is a certain CLIQUE attitude among the some of the members of some Guilds, I'd like to demonstrate my abilites before SHOUTING that the new goup is open for business.

Hence, I'd like to apply as a Cavern Crier, and in addition, help you folks of the GoMe by accepting the proposal you suggested on Sunday evening.

 

-Irissa

-Irissa

GoMe_Irissa KI# 04058618

Irissa KI# 03367521

Irissa
Ritratto di Irissa
Offline
Messenger
Iscritto: 18 Mar 2010

Rather then typing up a boring outline, I've written up fakeFAQ that contains questions that I expect will be asked. It's not a complete, detailed list by any means.

Event Group Fake FAQ.

Q. Who is this group, anyway

A. Cavern Event Services, otherwise known as CES,  is a group of players who are interested in creating, hosting and helping others with events in the Cavern.

 

Q. Just want services will CES provide?

A. In a nutshell, we want CES to be the GO-TO place for all things related to In-Cavern events Specific support that we will offer is as follows:

  • A Bevin that displays current and recurring events, for the player base to view 24/7.
  • A system by which new event information can be sent to CES, so they can update the Bevin and other groups.
  • A relationship with the Guild of Messengers, whose mandate is to keep the Cavern informed on news and events.
  • Hosting service for those needing a Bevin for an event.
  • Support services for those needing to create a temporary or permenant Bevin for an event(s)
  • Will develop and run events through the CES staff.
  • Will develop systems by which we can assist other players to run their own events.
  • Will offer support staff for other player events.
  • Eventually, a website with more in-depth information about creating and running events.
  •  

Q. I developed an event, but I am not sure what to do next.

A. Visit our Bevin. There will be a list of the services we provide, and a list of contacts that you can speak to.

 

Q. I’m new, but have a great idea for a recurring event. But I need access to a public Bevin for this. Can you host it?

A. Sure we can. However, in the case of a recurring event, we suggest players build a new Bevin for that purpose. Contact our group for specifics.

 

Q. I need a temporary Bevin for a one-time event. How do I create one?

A. Contact someone as CES, and they will guide you through the steps.

 

Q. I heard about an event while in the City, but I didn’t get specifics. Where do I go for more information?

A. Visit our Bevin for all the latest about events. Events being run by players outside CES will show contact information for the player running the event.

 

Q. I know someone who wants to run an event. But they don’t know what to next.

A. Have the player contact us directly. We will be happy to work with them.

 

Q. I haven’t seen any materials about CES in Kirel. What’s up with that?

A. We are not an official guild; hence we do not have a presence in Kirel.

 

-Irissa

-Irissa

GoMe_Irissa KI# 04058618

Irissa KI# 03367521

Irissa
Ritratto di Irissa
Offline
Messenger
Iscritto: 18 Mar 2010

Leonardo escribió:

I think Andros explained pretty much everything I wanted to say.

So, yes Irissa, we'd really be interested to have your group with us. I'm already envioning a Guild of Messengers Activities Team forming out of this, or maybe not a direct branch of the GoMe but an Affiliate, like CCN, TCT etc

I could organize a meeting (on out chat channel, or in the Cavern, or wherever you want) where we can discuss about this

 

I am all for meeting in chat here, or in Cavern to discuss anything that needs to be discussed.  For the record, I am in the US, on the East Coast. This means I am in EST -5 time zone. To schedule a meeting with people from so many time zones is sure to be tricky. I'll try my best to accomodate the needs of your guild in regards to communication.

I should also add that I do not always receive a notification email when a new post has been written to this thread. Just an FYI.

 

-Irissa

-Irissa

GoMe_Irissa KI# 04058618

Irissa KI# 03367521

Szark
Ritratto di Szark
Offline
Magazine moderatorMagazine teamMessenger
Iscritto: 12 Gen 2008

Marten's favourite program for setting a time for meetings is "When is Good"  http://www.whenisgood.net/

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo
Offline
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 19 Giu 2008

Thanks Szark.

I've setup a poll for the Meeting. I thought we could remake the Guild Meeting together with the discussion of Irissa proposal since the last one was so empty XD

http://whenisgood.net/yezkay

Irissa
Ritratto di Irissa
Offline
Messenger
Iscritto: 18 Mar 2010

Szark, nice find!

And I just input my available times. :)

-Irissa

GoMe_Irissa KI# 04058618

Irissa KI# 03367521

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo
Offline
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 19 Giu 2008

Posted on the Annoucement Forum too. :D

Remember that, althought this weekedn is shown on the poll, they are not good days since there is the "Guild Interest" weekend Event going on

Marten
Ritratto di Marten
Offline
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
Iscritto: 8 Nov 2007

This is a great thread, and I really appreciate that Irissa took the time to eloquently express some concerns that have also been bothering me... but I haven't taken the time to write anything about it, so 2 points for Irissa, 0 for me.  ;)

My response here is going to ramble a bit, because I have very little time to compose it and organize it nicely.  I apologize.

Part I - Someone to Talk To

Here is a question that I think pertains to the concerns raised above:

I understand there is a Guild of Messengers Bevin - but I've yet to get a chance to set my GoMe avatar to it.  But the presence of the Bevin means that there is an avatar called "Guild of Messengers."  So...

Can we make it possible that someone logs into this avatar once a day to check for messages?

If we can accomplish this, then we could start including a signature in our KI messages like, "Contact the Guild of Messengers at KI #<....> or on the web at http://rel.to/gome".

You might say, "Oh, but why not just share any one of the Messengers' KI #s?"  Well, I think it would be more meaningful to players if, when they /addbuddy <KI#> per the instructions, they see that the added buddy is actually "Guild of Messengers".

I understand that this could put a burden on the owner of the Guild of Messengers avatar.  But, if Cyan will permit the sharing of account information (I haven't checked the user agreement on this), maybe we could delete and recreate the avatar on a separately registered account and that info could be shared with just 2 or 3 people who could work together to ensure the avatar is checked daily.

Part II - Knowing that Someone Exists

Part I addresses only one of two particular problems - it creates a consistent way for people to communicate in-cavern to the GoMe. 

The other big problem is building increased awareness that the GoMe exists at all; to borrow an example from Lunanne, people won't type "guild of messengers" into Google if they don't know we exist.  Players who have never been to Kirel, and who do not read the Myst Online forums, will only know of us if we find creative ways to promote ourselves in cavern.  What we need, then... is marketing.

One of the best ways we can promote ourselves is to participate in events and create content that people want to share.  The "Cavern Events" KI message is one such example - though we should make clear to people that when we send them a copy, they are welcome to share it with others, and they don't need our permission to copy it.

Another form of content available to us is the Marker Missions.  A GoMe-sponsored mission, such as a historical tour taking players to the places where important Prologue and Seasion 1 events occurred, could be something that explorers could share with each other and thus spread our name, while also doing some good for the community too!   So... getting particularly involved with the group Irissa is mentioning, and contributing, would be well worth our while.

And last but not least, the GoMe could extend on that model by involving itself with other event organizers to help sponsor their events.  Just as we are scheduling some of our time for the Guild Interest Weekend, if we volunteered to help with running with other events that are happening, we would have more visibility in the cavern.

I'll re-emphasize to head off any confusion - As has already been stated, I am not saying we should organize events ourselves.  But I am saying that greater involvement with the groups that ARE organizing events would be a good thing.

Irissa
Ritratto di Irissa
Offline
Messenger
Iscritto: 18 Mar 2010

Marten escribió:

Part I - Someone to Talk To

Can we make it possible that someone logs into this avatar once a day to check for messages?

If we can accomplish this, then we could start including a signature in our KI messages like, "Contact the Guild of Messengers at KI #<....> or on the web at http://rel.to/gome".

You might say, "Oh, but why not just share any one of the Messengers' KI #s?"  Well, I think it would be more meaningful to players if, when they /addbuddy <KI#> per the instructions, they see that the added buddy is actually "Guild of Messengers".

In fact, if / when this group I've been proposing is formed, I had thought there would be a 'catch all' account created, that would be the name of the group. This "avatar' would probably be the primary contact for the group, and players would be told to add that  group avatar and send emails to said group avatar.

 

Marten escribió:

Part II - Knowing that Someone Exists

Part I addresses only one of two particular problems - it creates a consistent way for people to communicate in-cavern to the GoMe. 

Another form of content available to us is the Marker Missions.  A GoMe-sponsored mission, such as a historical tour taking players to the places where important Prologue and Seasion 1 events occurred, could be something that explorers could share with each other and thus spread our name, while also doing some good for the community too!   So... getting particularly involved with the group Irissa is mentioning, and contributing, would be well worth our while.

Sponsership is a word I've been thinking about, but haven't really used yet. I think that all players should be aware of all the guilds and groups, and hence, I see a way for this.

Say a player wants to run an event that involves audio chat about...I dunno..D'ni stuff. That sorta falls into the Guild of Writers lap, and the people ogranizing the event could contact said guild and say hey, we are doing X. Interested in working with us? And they then become sponsers of said event.

Today, right now, I've been thinking of going to every Guild and recognized group and say hey! We want to intererview you. (See the Draft Interview I posted earlier today in the private area of the forums).  If the interview could include an upcoming event that is being sponsered by said group or Guild, it would be really meaningful. And that's just one of my many thoughts on events, etc. LOL.

-Irissa

GoMe_Irissa KI# 04058618

Irissa KI# 03367521

Andros
Ritratto di Andros
Offline
Messenger
Iscritto: 29 Ott 2007

Marten, I am the creator of the GoMe Avatar. i'm willing to hand it over if you guys want it. I have to decline the commitment of looging almost every day to check for message.

Kalypso: #85553

Marten
Ritratto di Marten
Offline
Rel.to MaintainerMessenger
Iscritto: 8 Nov 2007

Understood, Andros.

Upon reviewing the Terms of Service for MOULAgain, I did not see any language prohibiting the sharing of an account.  So, here is my proposal:

  • The Guild Leadership should esablish a separate MOUL account for the purpose of hosting the "The Guild of Messengers" avatar.
  • At an agreed upon time between Andros and the Guild Leadership, Andros should delete the avatar, and the Guild Leadership will recreate it under the new account.
  • The Guild Leadership may delegate the password to the account to a small set of people who agree to use the avatar only for the sole purpose of communication on the Guild's behalf.
  • Though I trust everyone in our guild, the group of persons with access to the avatar should be kept small.  This avatar can be a tremendous opportunity for us, but misuse could create a tremendous amount of trouble.  And, remember that only Cyan can change an account password, so if the need arises to lock out a person who has caused trouble, it will not be easy.  (On the plus side, a person cannot cause trouble by easily changing the password and stealing the account.)
  • Finally, although nothing in the TOS forbids use of an account in this manner, the Guild Leadership might want to notify Cyan of how we are handling the avatar.

What do people think of this?

Irissa, do you think this is a worthwhile approach to solving some of the concerns you've mentioned?  And how is the events team coming along?  There used to be some other events teams (The Cavern Activities Team (CAT) and D'ni League of Activities (DLA)), but both have been dormant for years.

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo
Offline
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 19 Giu 2008

/thumbsup for Marten

Irissa
Ritratto di Irissa
Offline
Messenger
Iscritto: 18 Mar 2010

Sorry for the delay in getting my reply in here, but I've had a hell of a time waking up today.

Marten, I think your approach to the GoMe avatar is a good one. The issue is, however, that someone has to be logged in, and just stand in the GoMe Bevin (or wherever) for hours at a time. That is, from the simple 'we have a presence in the Cavern a lot' perspective. In regards to just logging into the avatar to retreive Ki Mail, thats much like what I do already to keep the GoMe Bevin on the Nexus list. I log in with my GoMe avatar about 4 times a day. I do a Crier Run twice, and refresh the Bevin each time I log in.

As for the events group..I plan to have a short report for everyone in the meeting today (As soon as I go type it up and print it, hehe).

But in general, this is what I have been doing:

1. Passing out an email to SELECT players, that among other things has a link to this thread. Said email has gone to OHB, for example.

2. Polling a lot of small groups about event ideas, and have asked this question: Would you, a player, have an issue with non-D'ni events?

3. I'm keeping track of all this stuff on my pc, and with KI Journals in-game.

4. I'm mentally working on the proper approach to take when I post a message on the MOUL forums. Scary!

5. I still NEED to draft a broader 'mission statement' type document.

6. I am trying to QUIETLY recruit.

-Irissa

GoMe_Irissa KI# 04058618

Irissa KI# 03367521

Leonardo
Ritratto di Leonardo
Offline
WebmasterLiaisonTranslatorMessenger
Iscritto: 19 Giu 2008

Wow that's a lot of work Irissa. You're super!!

See you later!

Irissa
Ritratto di Irissa
Offline
Messenger
Iscritto: 18 Mar 2010

Could someone lock this thread. I've re-created it in a private area of the forums.

-Irissa

GoMe_Irissa KI# 04058618

Irissa KI# 03367521